|Advice on Boarder's|
Who is a
A boarder is someone who rents a room in a private home or a boarding house. Laundry, kitchen and bathroom facilities are usually shared and meals are often included. If more than 20 per cent of the weekly board covers meals, washing, cleaning, linen, electricity, phone, etc the person is a boarder not a tenant.
If the boarding house is used for temporary or transient accommodation the resident is considered a boarder not a tenant. If the house or flat is lived in by the landlord or a member of the landlord's family, it will not be covered by the Residential Tenancies Act and the person will be considered a boarder not a tenant.
What is a boarding house?
Complaints about the conditions of boarding houses can be made to the local authority.
What rights do boarders have?
Is there a special form for the agreement?
No, but it should be in writing and signed by the boarder and the landlord.
What should be in a boarding agreement?
It should include:
What if the landlord wants to evict a boarder?
What can a boarder do about a dispute with a landlord?
Disputes between boarders and landlords are not automatically covered by the Residential Tenancies Act, although it can apply if the agreement says it is covered by the Act. Ultimately, because boarders have few rights, there is little help the law can provide and problems are best dealt with using practical common sense solutions.
A dispute can be taken to the Disputes Tribunal if, for example
Sample Boarding Agreement
Shown below is a sample form which may be used as a guide to the type of information which should be included
This is a boarding agreement between : . (Board Provider) and (Boarder)
1. The Board is ฃ .... per week
2. The Board is to be paid every Tuesday by automatic payment to the following bank account . .
3. The Boarder will pay a bond of ฃ .
4. The Board will cover
5. The Boarder will have exclusive use of their room.
6. The Boarder will be responsible for cleaning their room and for cleaning the kitchen, bathroom and laundry facilities after using them.
7. The Boarder may have visits from friends and family and shall be allowed overnight guests and/or overnight guests shall be allowed only by prior agreement of the Board Provider.
8. The amount of the Board will be reviewed every .. and the Board provider will give weeks' notice of any increase.
9. Either the Board Provider or the Boarder can end this boarding agreement by giving two weeks' notice in writing.
Sample Trespass Notice
A Trespass Notice must be in this form or very similar
IN THE MATTER of the Trespass Act 1980
Take notice that pursuant to the Trespass Act 1980 you are warned to leave the land and premises at ..
If you do not leave the said land and premises you will commit an offence against Section 3 of the Trespass Act 1980 which offence may be dealt with by summary conviction in the District Court.
The penalty for such offence being a fine of up to ฃ1,000 or imprisonment for a term of up to three months.
Dated this .. .. day of 20 .
Signed : .. The owner/occupier of the said land or premises